Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Week 3

Was a superwonderfuliscious week for the dog.

I got there ten minutes before class time and had open floor to do a quick loosening up session. This is hugely important if you are getting ready for show. The dog will have a little pent up energy from riding in the car and then arriving in a really cool and fun place. Getting there a few minutes early gives you enough time to get your dog acclimated and warmed up.

So, I switched my guy into his training collar and got him out on the floor. We started out with loose play-walking. This is me talking him and letting him grab the leash and jump around if he wants. Then I do a quick heeling run with attention games (dropping the leash and running away if his attention drifts) and also a few sits.

And that is it.

The type of dog he is means he expends a lot of energy as he works, because he throws his all into it. So I don't really want to warm up too much or risk him getting worn out mid-class.

Same thing is true at a show. You don't want your dog to be freaked out and jittery when you are heading into the show ring. But the other BAD thing is to have a dog who's lagging or tuning you out because he's tired, bored, and/or stressed.

Jack was perfect at everything. Except fronts (boo).

The teacher pulled me aside and told me that he is going to be one of those dogs that I can have a lot of fun with (meaning he will go far and score high in shows), but she wanted me to stop helping him out so much with the recalls. This is so stupid, but when I see him coming in crooked, I use my hands to guide him. <- A very bad habit.

Rather than buld a front machine, I'm going to use the 'front boards', which is essentially setting up a visual parking spot for the dog. He has to focus on getting his butt straight when he comes in, because he's going to be conscious of those boards on either side.

Currently debating if I want to drive to a fun match about 20 miles away from my house. I want to. But argh. I feel so drained today. Need sleep.

There was another guy at the class with a golden. His dog is a little bit showier looking than Jackie, but he's got minor attitude problems. The guy had his dog on a pinch collar because it helps him pay attention in the class. But then through the class the dog acted somewhat stressed out. I think the dog was picking the mood up from the owner. Still, the put the dog on a buckle collar and were going to see if that helped him relax.

I guess that guy was one reason why I felt a little uncomfortable about just joining the class, because I'm really just cleaning up and 'training with distractions'. The other people are still teaching and learning how to do everything, so at different points during class I kinda felt uncomfortable about showing off.

Like off leash healing.

I've been training Jacks off leash since he was a puppy. As a result, I don't need to say anything to get a perfect heel. I can't get away from him. <- Which is how it ought to be, at least in Novice. I'm not sure what he's going to think of Open when you leave the dog behind and go somewhere out of sight for five minutes. !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment