Monday, April 19, 2010

Back to Training - Post Week 1

Have been on break over winter - partly because of finances, partly because I REALLY HATE driving around when it's dark out. It makes me feel depressed and windblown inside.

Spring session just started up -

I had a choice between open floor classes or repeating Novice 2 (we cleared Novice 3 and technically are in that fuzzy gray area where you just keep repeating classes until you feel your dog is mature enough to handle the show ring), and I chose Novice 2, partly because the open floor classes can be a zoo.

The new teacher is fun. I definitely like her better than the one we were with all last year. The one from last year was good, except she didn't understand the difference between the way you handle a working dog and handling a sporting dog. Working dogs you have to be more assertive. Sporting dogs, or at least golden retrievers need a softer hand. Especially when they are as neurotic as my little guy.

We are also going to start doing fun matches soon. Probably next month after we finish this 'brush up' round of classes. Yay.

One thing about the new teacher that has me scratching my head... my dog was the only one who completed a perfect front. But she was suggesting I use a 'front machine' which is essentially like a raised 'park it' mat that you have to train your dog to sit on.

I feel like this will mess up his fronts if I start introducing something like that this late in the game. :O

Main problem we face is the stay. He is doing all right, but still isn't solid on the stays. That isn't new, but still frustrating, because he is deliberately breaking the stays when something spooks him.

And with Jacks - just about ANYTHING is categorically spooky.

He's started clawing his way into closets when he hears booms (nearby shooting club) outside. Gun dog he isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment