Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Random Brag

Thanks to Christmas and other stuff the last two months, I have not been training my dog. In fact, I did not train him since the week before Christmas which was our last class at the obedience club. We are off until spring (I chose to do so to save money + I didn't want to be driving around at night in winter). Being off for four months means that I did not feel inspired to train every day, so I let that slide.

Until last week, when I realized I have about a month left before my dude and I go back into dog classes.

To my enormous relief and amusement, the dog not only did not forget anything, but he literally shines as he zooms along through all of the exercises.

There is one thing we were working on prior to the break - while turning or doing figure 8's, it is important to get the dog so he is using his whole body and turning with you.

Admittedly, this whole deal... ugh. I HATED it, because I always walk too fast and that encourages him to walk fast. In order to train the total-turn thing, it is important for both dog and trainer to be going tick...tock...tick slow.

I don't recall suddenly learning how to walk slower without concentrating on it, but the doglet has suddenly begun to turn the way he should. Perfectly. It's like he's been thinking about it for the past two months. :)

So his trial routine is solid, except for the dratted stays. But even there I have high hopes of smoothing those over by summer.

The thing I REALLY want to brag about -

Last winter, we had this assignment at dog class to teach our dogs a new trick. It didn't matter WHAT we taught the dogs or how 'amazing' it was. The teacher just wanted to see us figuring out the teaching method on our own.

For our trick, I chose 'limp'. It was a lot harder than I expected, and took three weeks to teach the trick to the point where I was not holding his paw anymore.

I never did build distance from him, but that isn't important.

What is important is I threw the command at him the other day after not practicing it in at least six months or so and dude! He did a perfect limp across the room at my side. He actually brings his left leg as high as his head as he three-legs it. It is so adorable.

*loves having a smart dog*

No comments:

Post a Comment