Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Power of YES

Just a quicky 'here I am' update -

As mentioned in the previous post, I've been weaning the doglet off of food training in preparation for shows - when we can't use ANY food. :]

So far so good -

I've been making sure I train him when he want to 'play'. This is usually late, just before bedtime. Usually, this is after I've changed into my favorite nightshirt and am prepping my computer. He comes running up with toys and bounces around with bright eyes <- So I take advantage of the moment and put him through a few quick exercises.

Last night, it was off lead heeling with attention and quick sits. Each time he did something perfect, I said "YES" in a loud happy tone. This "YES" is the exact same method that clicker trainers use - they click their button thingy every time the dog does something perfect.

Like with the clicker, when you start doing the "YES" thing - it always precedes a treat or you have a PARTY BREAK (stopping the training, clapping your hands, patting him, and encouraging dog to bounce around like a goofball).

Like with the clicker, when the dog 'gets' a training exercise, you start weaning him off the food or 'party break'. This could be giving him a treat/party every other perfect sit and so forth, until you are only giving the treat/partying at the end of an exercise. In my dog's case, the party includes a few toss/retrieves of his favorite toy.

Ideally, you want your dog to enjoy training like mine does. The way you get that is by making that training time short, positive, and rewarding to him. And again, aim for those times of the day when the dog is 'on' and wants attention.

Special crow - dog's fronts are getting solid. No more leans left or right. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment